May 10, 2017
Stuart Shirley is a college student at the Colorado School of
Mines, he is obtaining a 4 year degree from the Colorado School of
Mines in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering. Currently,
as part of pursuing his degree, he is completing an internship at
the Center for Metal Arts in Florida New York.
What We Talked About
- Stuart’s interest in blacksmithing started in high school. His
welding instructor offered to help Stuart build a forge of his own
if Stuart agreed to build two forges, one for the school and one
for him to keep.
- Stuart’s forge is called Great Owl Forge and he has both coal
and gas forges there. He also has a treadle hammer (he built in
high school), an anvil, horizontal bandsaw, oxy/acetylene set up
and a utility pneumatic power hammer.
- While he has been working at the Center for Metal Arts as an
intern, Stuart has become familiar with the 4 power hammers CMA has
in the shop. They have a Ritter, Falcon, Anyang and a Nazel.
- Steel production and failure analysis is what interests Stuart
the most and will continue to study that in his next internship
with New Corp in their hot mill.
- As an intern at CMA, Stuart started off cleaning and organizing
the shop by building racks. Patrick Quinn (program developer and
instructor at CMA) and Kyle Martin are teaching him how to use a
mill, a lathe for machining and how to build jigs for production
- In his second and third months, Stuart has made a total of 58
sets of tongs for the classes CMA holds every weekend. When Stuart
makes 10 sets of tongs, Patrick had made a deal that Stuart keeps
one pair, Patrick keeps a pair and 8 sets stay in the shop for
- Patrick and Stuart set aside Monday and Tuesday nights to have
weekly meetings and focused forging sessions. Other than that,
Stuart works from 9 am to 5 pm every day in the shop.
- Stuart has been able to attend the weekend classes that CMA
offers on the weekends. One of them being the Seth Gould Forge a
- Stuart will be attending his next internship right after his
CMA internship, it is with New Corp and he will be working in the
hot mill steel production department.
Center for Metal Arts website – www.centerformetalarts.com
Patrick’s email for internship questions -
Seth Gould Instagram - @sethgould
Thanks so much for your support!