Oct 10, 2016
Toby Druce is making a mid-life career change to become a
blacksmith. He is from the Toronto area in Ontario Canada and
has been a social worker with the City of Toronto for the past 29
years. He has decided to change career paths and learn to
become a blacksmith by attending the Fleming College Blacksmith
Program over the next 15 weeks. Toby and l are doing a 4-part
podcast series and this is the 2nd interview, Toby is now 5 weeks
into his program.
What We Talked About
- With five weeks into his blacksmith program, he has obtained an
A+ in Drawing and forged some tools; a hot chisel, hardy hot cut,
punch, drift, and center punch.
- He just successfully completed his first forge weld a few days
ago for a pair of tongs.
- There are 15 students in the class with an age range from 17 to
57 years old.
- Each student has to come up with a design of a final project
and forge it by the end of the program, Toby’s is going to be a
table and table top and it will be his rendition of a compass
- Along with the final project, each student will also have to
show 8 different completed projects. Toby plans to make a set of
repousse tools, a demo of repousse, kitchen utensils, a set of
garden tools, and more chisels.
- Toby is already looking to reach out to a few Toronto
blacksmith businesses for an apprenticeship.
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – Fleming
Maybe more pictures
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you
would support the show by:
Thanks so much for your support!