Mar 14, 2017
Julida Alter is the youngest of 6 in a strong Polish Catholic
family where her father and two brothers are blacksmiths.
Julida and her sister are part of a 4-person band called “The
Blacksmith’s Daughters”, they are located outside of Minneapolis
Minnesota. Recently formed in 2015, The Blacksmith's
Daughters (a family folk/pop band) believe that music should
inspire the best in each other. That is why they create music that
makes people happy. Many times this happiness comes out through
authentic love songs with soaring melodies, intense harmonies and
intertwined guitar and ukulele.
What We Talked About
- Julida comes from a family of blacksmiths, 4 generations in
fact! Her father, Boleslaw Kochanowski, is a well-known blacksmith
in the Wisconsin and Chicago area.
- Her father has visited his native country, Poland, to research
his genealogy and how it ties to the blacksmith craft. He has found
business records from the early 1900’s of family members running a
- Her grandfather was fighting in World War II and was captured
by the Nazis, when he declared (he knew how to speak German) that
he was a blacksmith the Nazis spared his life and put him to work
on a farm in Germany.
- The four pillars of the band are the two sisters, Annella
Platta and Julida Alter, and their iron clad musicians (and also
husbands), Brent Platta and Sean Alter.
- Two other regulars in the band are Jeremy Swider on violin and
Krista Swider on viola (who also happen to be married). Jeremy and
Krista teach private violin and viola lessons and also perform in
the ensemble Sonorous Strings.
- Each of the band members have a background tied to music, A
band teacher, a choir director, a piano teacher and professional
viola and violin players.
- Every member of the band writes their own lyrics and music and
they like to use hand percussion instruments such as: hand shakers,
Castanets, Cajon box drum and bass drums.
- They are planning to release two albums in 2017, one in June
and hopefully a Christmas album.
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – Southern Blacksmith
Association, Their bi-annual conference May 18th -
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you
would support the show by:
Thanks so much for your support!