Apr 11, 2016
Charles is an internationally known artist and master goldsmith,
an author of 7 books and numerous magazine articles, owner of his
own publishing company, BrainPress, College teacher and head of the
Jewelry Metals Program at Alberta College of Art and Design, a
co-founder of the Ganoskin Project which since 1987 has grown to be
the largest educational website in the world for jewelers, and the
innovative inventor of the fold forming technique. His
education started with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the Nova Scotia
College of Art and Design, then a Master of Fine Arts from SUNY of
New Paltz, NY then he continued his education in Europe, Germany
and Great Britain.
What We Talked About
- Charles is currently teaching at an Art College and he tells
his students to think of different ways a project can be re-used to
aid in being efficient.
- He still writes for a variety of publications, currently the
Sante Fe Symposium Conference has asked him to write a chapter in
their annual book they publish.
- Charles talks about the time he spent in a German art school,
which is where he came up with the fold forming technique. Many
revered jewelers also attended this same school such as Alan
Revere, Charon Kransen, and Harold O’Conner.
- The first exposure of Charles demonstrating the fold forming
technique was in 1985 at the SNAG (Society of North American
Goldsmiths) conference in Toronto, Canada.
- The first exposure that blacksmiths had to fold forming was
when Charles demonstrated at the 1987 ABANA Conference in Alfred,
NY. Tom Joyce was assisting Charles with fold forming steel on the
- His roommate at this 1987 conference was Daryl Meier, who was a
skilled bladesmith that was well known in the bladesmith world, the
jewelry world and the blacksmith world. They both noticed that in
the blacksmith world there was no hierarchy of skilled to beginner,
everyone would talk to everyone.
- Charles recommends artists schedule an hour a week of playtime
in the shop with no particular goal in mind, from this ideas are
- Pay attention to your mistakes instead of rejecting them, he
says “If you make the same mistake three times, it’s a
His website - http://www.brainpress.com/
The Ganoskin Project website - http://www.ganoksin.com/
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – ABANA 2016 Conference
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you
would support the show by:
Thanks so much for your support!