Mar 9, 2015
Monica is an artist blacksmith who lives and works in
California. Working closely with a wide-range
of clients, she produces exclusive, timeless pieces for the
home, garden and business.
What We Talked About
- Monica’s first taste of blacksmithing started by answering an
ad in the paper looking for an apprentice welder in her town of
Ettersberg, CA for a gate fabrication shop at the spry age of
- She then sought out opportunities to learn and apprentice with
experienced blacksmiths such as Toby Hickman, Mark Aspery and
- Monica tells us how her husband built her forge shop from the
ground up that is completely off the grid!
- Her shop has a power hammer, 2 forges, 2 fly presses,
oxy-propane set, a MIG welder, a Hossfeld bender and Bader
- Her business keeps her busy with mostly word of mouth
advertising, making 5 to 7 pieces a year.
- Monica shares her pricing strategies by estimating the time it
takes to make a piece, the client’s budget, her hourly shop rate
and the interest she has in making the piece.
- A design fee that she usually charges is around $200.
- As far as installations for Monica, legally in California if
you are not a licensed contractor you can’t install anything that
costs over $500 onto a home.
- The “On the Bias” table made by Monica started with a drawing
first, wanting to introduce the more intricate connections of the
mortise and tenon’s on the corner of square stock. The table
took 6 months to finish!
- We talk about her website and how it was built on Squarespace
(which is around $14/mo). The pictures of her work on her
have been a mix of herself, a professional and her brother.
- One of her favorite tools is a hammer made by Jim Austin where
the face of the hammer has forge welded high carbon steel on it and
the center of the hammer’s head is wrought iron!
Monica Coyne’s Links:
Website – http://www.monicacoyneartistblacksmith.com/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/MonicaCoyneArtistBlacksmith
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – Pratt Fine Arts Center
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would
support the show by:
· sharing this episode using the social
sharing buttons below.
· subscribing to the show and leaving a
rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how?
Just follow these simple steps here or watch the short
video tutorial, http://youtu.be/rq4OCyRGjHc?list=UUH3MfNZLXlKgionAs6kMT_Q
·subscribing to the show in Stitcher,
Thanks so much for your support!