Jan 12, 2015
Dawn Raines is an artist blacksmith working in Austin, Texas.
She began her career as a blacksmith after completing her
Bachelor’s degree in Art at Texas State University where a lot of
her coursework included the Metals and Sculpture
Departments. After graduating she found a custom ornamental
iron shop called Mind over Metal and apprenticed under Richard
Schultz. She worked at Mind over Metal for over four years creating
gates, hand railing, architectural hardware, furniture, and a slew
of other things that came into the shop. She is
currently teaching Welded Steel Sculpture at Austin Community
College and also working in her own shop, Rusty Belly
What We Talked
· Dawn started
working with metal at Texas State University while in attending
· After college she started working at a
metal shop called Mind over Metal for several years
· Then she worked at STI International
where they made custom and competition pistols, she was in the
final finishing part of the process.
· Then went on to working part-time as an assistant to the
workshop classes at Austin Community College, which turned into a
full time job
· Dawn teaches a class at ACC called “Welded Steel
Sculpture” that covers welding processes, forging processes,
finishing techniques and sculpture, 40 hours over 8 weeks, twice a
week, 2.5 hours long at night, price is $431 (at the time of
release, Jan 2015). This class fills up quickly every
· Still does side jobs out of her Rusty Belly
Forgeworks – railings, gates and sculptures
· Her shop is actually outside right now
· The ACC metal shop is decked out with 5 power
hammers, 3 forges and tons of hand tools
· ACC offers Associates degrees in Art Metals that
includes blacksmithing, http://www.austincc.edu/info/artmetals
· Dawn tells us her pricing and time tracking
strategies for her own business. We talked about time
tracking apps, TDF tracker($9.99) and Office Time Lite (free
· Dawn’s website that she built herself
· Face Paddles she has made from 18 gauge
sheet steel w
· The “Ironwork Today 4 – Inside and Out”
book and how she was contacted to be included in the book,
Website – Click here http://dawnraines.com/
Facebook business page- Click here https://www.facebook.com/rustybellyforgeworks
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would
support the show by:
· telling your friends.
· sharing this episode using the social
sharing buttons below.
· subscribing to the show and leaving a
rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how?
Just follow these simple steps here or watch the
short video tutorial.
· subscribing to
the show in Stitcher.
Thanks so much
for your support!