Dec 12, 2016
Today is episode # 91 and we’re catchin up with Toby Druce again
for the third time in his 15 week artist blacksmith program at
Fleming college. If you recall, Toby Druce made a mid-life
career change to become a blacksmith. He is from the Toronto
area in Ontario Canada and has been a social worker with the City
of Toronto for the past 29 years. He decided to change career
paths and learn to become a blacksmith by attending the Fleming
College Blacksmith Program.
What We Talked About
- We talk about his final project and how far along he is with
it, the design changed from his earlier thoughts of incorporating a
- Last time we spoke Toby successfully completed his first forge
weld so I asked to see how this technique is going for him.
- There were 15 students in the class with an age range from 17
to 57 years old and one has left the program.
- Along with the final project, each student will also have to
show 8 different completed projects. Toby tells us everything that
he has made so far, a garden hat with a ribbon, 3 coat racks, a
human sculpture, some chisels and a nouveau duck.
- Toby is still looking to apprentice with a local Toronto
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – Fleming College
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you
would support the show by:
Thanks so much for your support!